Monday, September 16, 2013

Pleasing paisley


It's getting to feel a lot more like fall around here! After two stormy days where we hit 90 degrees, the air is suddenly much cooler, and I'm able to start breaking out my fall teaching wardrobe just in time to receive my first batches of essays to grade. The new chilly temperatures have also been making for some blissfully cozy mornings of orals reading, wrapped in blankets with a warm mug of coffee--made even better by the fact that I'm reading 18th gothic page turners like Ann Radcliffe's The Italian. I can't complain.

This silk paisley dress is one of my favorite vintage pieces. I don't usually wear vintage for teaching because sometimes 18 year olds just don't get it, you know? But I think this dress is timeless, and so even though it's a slightly fuller, softer silhouette than what typically gets identified as "women's professional attire," I love wearing this to work and school. I think it's important to both of us at Femmepirical Evidence to constantly challenge this notion of femininity as somehow incompatible with strength, intelligence, confidence and authority. Plus it's just like sooo pretty, guys. The skirt is so swishy.


dress: vintage (thrifted in Toronto, summer 2012 - similar)
belt: j.crew factory (similar)
earrings: kenneth cole
necklace: nina kuna
shoes: urban outfitters
bag: vintage (etsy)

xoxo,
melina

No comments:

Post a Comment