Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Inspired by Amber (as if!)

It was the last weekend before classes started. I needed queeraoke with friends, and I needed it now.  I wanted to wear something slightly more daring before diving into weeks & weeks of cardigans, pencil skirts & blazers.

Thanks for making my hair beautiful, as always, Thomas! Loving the new red ombre.

And so I did what any self-respecting femme would do: I summoned the sartorial savvy of the unsung heroine of fashionable mean girls, the one, true war goddess of red hair, lots of bangs, leopard prints, and crop tops—Amber of Clueless. Because, despite Cher Horowitz's sneering application of the epithet "fashion victim" to Amber's incessant array of hats, hair pieces, and loud, printed frocks, there is something just so right about her. So, so right.


Cher calls her a fashion victim in the movie, too, right? Not just in the resulting series of pre-teen chapter books? It's all a little hazy at this point, and now I'm suddenly revealing more than you ever needed to know about my early literary consumption. 


I clearly made the right style choices, because the bar was filled to the brim with magical, beautiful 90s babes, belting out rock hits from 15 years ago with utter abandon. Babes after my own heart. I still want to write a missed connection love letter to every single one of those girls. It's on my to-do list.



crop top: forever 21
skirt: thrifted
shoes: kork ease anna in nautical blue pearlized (via 6pm.com)
lips: e.l.f. mineral lipstick in rich raspberry
nails: tillie polish beach babe & hot ticket goldfinger (see meg's post on this easy nail art here!)

xoxo,
melina




No comments:

Post a Comment