Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bird friends II

I have exactly two articles of clothing that feature a bird print. One is this dress from Eshakti, which I posted about back in February. The other is this cute cropped top that I thrifted more recently (originally from H&M. As Meg mentioned in her most recent post (which features her in a totally gorgeous bird printed dress from Anthropologie), the Portlandia sketch "Put a Bird on It" now seems to require sporting bird-related ensembles with a certain degree of ironic self awareness. But I second Meg's refusal to give a shit. Birds are cute, and literal animal prints are always fun. No apologies.

For me, bird prints also seem like fertile ground for pattern mixing. I've mostly paired this cropped top with high waisted cutoffs, but this weekend, I decided to try something more daring by putting it on with this favorite polka dotted pencil skirt. I'm not sure that I struck the perfect combination yet here, but this fresh pairing made for a fun new look on one of those days when nothing in my closet felt new or exciting enough. What are your tips for pattern mixing, readers? Share your ideas in the comments below, or send us your photos at femmepirical evidence at gmail dot com.

 

 

shirt: thrifted (spring 2013 - h&m via beacon's closet)
skirt: j.crew factory (spring 2013 - similar)
bag: estate sale (summer 2013)
sunglasses: modcloth
watch: fossil

xoxo,
melina

No comments:

Post a Comment