Friday, July 12, 2013

Reader Question: Comfy shoes for navigating Berlin

Berlin-based reader Nicole asks:Okay Femmepirical Evidence, I need your advice! I'm apparently getting old and need a little bit more support to my shoe than the Toms Cordones I'm accustomed to, but I find all other sneaker-esque shoes totally ugly in general. I don't want to look like I'm about to run a marathon or something! What are some cute, femme-approved everyday shoes that could fulfill the role of my trusty Toms Cordones? Extra points if they can withstand the often rainy Berlin weather without getting soaked immediately! ♥

Hey Nicole! Excellent question. No one wants to have hurty feet, especially if you live in an amazing city like Berlin and integrate exploring into your daily life. I'm a huge fan of Keds and other generally unsupportive flat shoes, so I completely understand your pain; finding a cute shoe that will do the heavy lifting of a sneaker is definitely a challenge. Here are a few suggestions for how to keep your feet happier.

1. If you can't kick your Toms habit, consider replacing the existing sock liner with some amazing insoles from Superfeet. I haven't tried these myself yet, but they come highly recommended. I have super flat feet that tire long before the rest of my body or brain do, so travel abroad can often be a strain because there's so much I want to do, and so much foot pain. I plan on giving these a try during my next trip.

2. Consider taking the lace-up look of the Cordones and transferring it to a pair of studier shoes, like a leather (or vegan alternative) oxford. They are casual enough to take the place of your Toms, but professional enough for work, depending on how you dress them. I love these Clarks Indigo Charlie Brogues. I convinced Ali to buy a pair of these last fall, and they've been comfortable and study for her, and look great with jeans and dresses alike. Although there's definitely a menswear inspired detail to these shoes, they've got seriously femme-approved proportions: they have a thin sole (without sacrificing comfort), and the toe box has a nice, slender shape.


Bass' Ely 2 Oxford comes in a variety of great, vibrant colors, and is a vegan canvas shoe with a substantial sole to elevate you from the wet ground and provide some additional support.


3. If you're looking for something on the more sneakery end of things, consider going all the way and rocking a pair of fresh, pattered kicks. I'm obsessed with the Liberty London and Nike collaboration, which you can find here. I don't think I even need to explain why floral Dunks are a great idea- this concept defies verbage.

Good luck with your search, Nicole! Do you have a question for Femmepirical Evidence? Email us at femmepiricalevidence@gmail.com or find us on Facebook!

xoxo,
meg

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I don't know how I didn't see this immediately when it posted! Thanks so much for the ideas, luckily I just got paid so it might be shoe shopping spree time, going to research all these options now! Thanks lovelies! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clark's Indigo line FOREVER! I'm wearing a pair of their flats right now. They make the most awesome comfy to walk in but still look professional shoes ever. Waterproof them if they're leather in case of rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete