Friday, July 12, 2013

Other peoples' weddings

Hello sweet femmes! I write to you from the guest bedroom of Fuchsia's house, where Ali is sitting by my side crafting Femmepirical Evidence fliers because she's an excellent femme companion, which you may remember from this excellent Femmespiration Friday post that she surprised me with while I was in Venice. She's a keeper, friends, even if she does use an awful lot of cat pictures in her collages.

This summer is flying by: I feel like I just started by summer French class (groan), but we took the midterm today. And Ali and I are moving to LA in T-minus five weeks. Admittedly, I'm feeling a bit manic at the moment, but I wanted to show off some pictures from a couple of weeks ago when I accompanied Ali to Michigan, her ancestral homeland, for a family wedding. This was my first time in the Mitten, and I have to say that I was won over by the plentiful liquor, friendly people, and suspiciously inexpensive prices at the boutiques we visited. Michigan, you're onto something.

Since many of Ali's family members live in Michigan, this trip was a chance to meet some people for the first time, and get to know others better. I wanted to make a good impression- find the right amount of formality for this evening wedding with an outdoor ceremony and cocktail and indoor reception. I planned to wear a dress I had, which I wore to a cousin's wedding and my master's graduation, but at the last minute as Ali and I were perusing a recently opened Nordstrom Rack, she insisted that I try on this cupcake of a dress from Topshop's Nordstrom collection. I'm kind of a sucker for uber-femme pieces like this: pink, lace, floral, poofy skirt-- it covers all the bases. I added a navy ribbon belt and navy pumps, which helped bring the whimsy factor down a notch. It's important to keep that in check, friends.











xoxo,
meg

Dress: Topshop via Nordstrom Rack
Belt: J. Crew
Shoes: I can't remember the brand, but they came from bountiful clearance racks of DSW
Clutch: Ann Taylor Loft, stopen from my mom
Earrings: a gift from Ali's sister J.
Nails: Essie Tart Deco
Lipstick: Make Up For Ever 41 (seriously my favorite lipstick)


1 comment: