Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Practical solutions for apartment-dwelling femmes

As I sit in my otherwise messy apartment, it might be a little hypocritical for me to offer organizational solutions to you, the denizens of the internet.  But, when Melina asked me to share one of the lifesaving storage techniques that has helped to keep one element of my apartment in check, I thought I'd do her one better and show two.  

My scarves and jewelry are organized on the same principle: using otherwise underutilized wall space in order to keep them untangled and displayed so that they're easily available to me, and don't require digging through a drawer or jewelry box.*  In both cases, a line has been affixed to the fall: in the case of the scarves, it's twine that I've clipped my scarves to with clothespins (an idea stolen from my brilliant friend Emily).  For the jewelry, Ali helped me hang three evenly spaced lines of small-medium gauge wire that I simply hang earrings and necklaces on.  

That's it.  Simple, cheap, and unbelievably helpful, especially when you have as little drawer space as I do.  The best part is that I get to see my accessories as I get dressed daily so I can gleefully festoon myself with all the things!






*ok, so I still have a messy jewelry box, which holds stud earrings, things too big for the wire, brooches, etc. Nothing's perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment