Friday, April 19, 2013

Femmespiration Friday: Beth Fucking Ditto



I am pretty open about my laziness when it comes to music. I know what I like and I just don’t care enough to search for new artists. My brother, seeing such musical apathy when I was younger, set out to change the musical course of my pre-queer-realization adolescent life. I credit him for my love of certain fantastic artists such as the Strokes, Hidden Cameras, and, of course, the Gossip.

For those of you poor, poor souls who haven’t heard of the Gossip (they officially dropped the “the” from their name in 2003, but whaaatever), I give you this: 




Now that you’ve all sufficiently appreciated that bit of musical genius/orgasmic thrill-ride, I wanted to take a moment to thank Meg and Melina for letting me add to their amazing blog (legit, it’s the best) and post a bit about one of my favorite femme ladies, Beth Ditto! While I know my entry won’t come close to the Liza tribute penned magnificently by Samara, I hope I can do my #1 belting bodacious beauty a little justice. 




When I was a wee gayelle, I went to the 2007 True Colors Tour (with my then-girlfriend who wouldn’t hold hands with me in public even at the fucking True Colors Tour because she didn’t want anyone to know she was a lesbian but uh hello you’re at the True Colors Tour but whatever I guess that’s okay as long as you like me because we are like 17 and I will like put up with that shit BUT OKAY THAT’S NOT WHAT THIS STORY IS ABOUT) with the likes of Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Margaret Cho, Rufus Wainwright, and the Gossip. After their set, I wanted to go meet the band, and I stood in line patiently 20 minutes to meet Beth Ditto, the lead singer. When I got to the front of the line, she lit up and loudly greeted me with,
  


“HELLO, BEAUTIFUL! YOU'RE GORGEOUS!!”




I immediately fell in love (promptly forgetting my then-girlfriend standing next to me). I couldn’t look away. She signed my ticket, gave me a big kiss on the cheek (both of us were covered in sweat—it was magical), and took a photo with me, probably still somewhere in the annals of Facebook.



OH WAIT HERE IT IS:





Beth Ditto was the first fat person I met who loved her body without apologizing or justifying it to anyone else. Meeting her was my first taste of size acceptance. Like Samara and Liza, my physical similarities to Beth were undeniable, and I immediately felt a stronger connection to her spirit and style. 

 
Beth Ditto is the definition and accumulation of the three adjectives I love most in the English language:  
queer, fat, & femme



A plus-size lesbian from bum-fuck Arkansas, Beth Ditto has zero, even possibly negative fucks to give. She is fierce, powerful, and unapologetic—a necessity for fat girls who actually like their bodies. While performing, she rolls around on the stage without regard to what’s riding up or if her stomach is covered, drenched in sweat with her make-up running down her face. Her voice is soulful and limitless.
 



 Beth Ditto is undoubtedly and completely femme.





In my mind, there is no right or wrong way to do femme; it’s whatever makes you feel most beautiful and most badass. Beth typically rocks an edgier style, with her jet-black hair and on-point make up, studs and straps, masculine cuts and military-inspired garb. 






She wears too many accessories and clashing patterns and “night” make-up during the daytime. And who gives a flying fuck? She looks amazing.









She can also rock the bright colors, as seen at the 2008 Brit Awards, uninhibited by stupid society rules about the length of fat girl’s skirts or exposure of upper arms.  



Isn't she the cutest?!!



Also, this (omg this dress!):





 A true femme, her make-up and eyebrows are on-point even after being arrested for drunken conduct and screaming, “Obama!!” in the streets of Portland.

Key to a great mugshot: great cat eyes


Beth Ditto is undeterred by patriarchal and flat-out ridiculous societal notions of beauty and size-appropriate fashion; Beth Ditto is unafraid in her choices and others opinions of her; Beth Ditto is memorable and beautiful and intelligent and adorable and talented and not sorry for any of it. 






Beth Ditto is my ultimate femme inspiration.







xoxo Wilkz






No comments:

Post a Comment