Monday, March 25, 2013

Laced up

At last, spring break has arrived. And it feels glorious. Or it will, until grading and various other responsibilities intervene. But for now, I'm taking time to hang out with family and enjoy re-reading Great Expectations. I'm teaching it after break, but it's always been a pleasurable novel for me (the only Dickens I can say that about) so it's easy to trick myself into thinking it's just for fun. If only I could say the same about preparing lesson plans on MLA citation and forming research questions. Oh, well. Can't win 'em all.

K. snapped these pictures before we left to roadtrip back to my mom's place. This is a new outfit for me, and I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic about it. I thrifted this shirt a few months back, imagining that I'd need to wear it with a high-waisted pencil skirt because it looked way too short for pants. But when I tried it on with the intended black skirt for a date night, it felt totally blah; it hit me in the wrong place, and I looked like I had no shape at all. Already convinced that the length wouldn't be especially flattering with pants, this top remained neglected in my closet. Until I tossed it over my faithful black skinnies today on a whim. This has been happening to me a lot lately, and it's been great to let go of some of my internalized rules about proportions that work. Being wrong has never felt better!


Shirt: thrifted (winter 2013)
Jeans: BDG high rise cigarette
Boots: thrifted ($5! vintage 9 west)
Sunglasses: ModCloth
Locket: gift from K.
Lipcolor: e.l.f. Studio Matte Lip Color in "Rich Red"


xoxo,
melina

No comments:

Post a Comment