Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Going natural

Over the past few months, I've been on a personal quest to go natural with my cosmetics, soaps, and hair care products—without breaking the bank. Or at least as natural as possible for someone who is probably never going to stop coloring her hair or wearing a full face of make-up every single day. Ultimately, my goal was to at least transfer all of my daily products to non-toxic or natural alternatives. First, I starting using these great shampoos and conditioners by Desert Essence (via Swanson's—super affordable at $4.99 a pop) and my fine, tending-toward-oily hair has been looking softer, healthier, and fuller by alternating between their Raspberry Shine formula, Lemon Tea Tree oil formula for oily hair, and the Green Apple & Ginger formula for volume. 

It hasn't been hard to find mineral foundation and lipsticks that work for me (e.l.f. & bare minerals), but my last major hurdle was to find viable substitutions for my liquid eyeliner and mascara. After reading disappointing online reviews of several products, it seemed like I'd never find something that would help me achieve my usual heavy winged eyeliner look. But then I found this sugar-based liquid eyeliner by SunCoat. It totally lives up to the hype! After my first use today, I'm hooked. The pigment is actually even darker than my usual eyeliner, and the solid felt tip allows for easy, controlled application. The mascara is equally satisfying. I'm so thrilled to have found these key pieces of my new daily make-up regiment, and I think my quest will finally be complete when I receive my order of Tillie nail polish in a few weeks.

I realize my bangs are obscuring the eyeliner. I'll get a haircut soon, I promise.
Even though it's not that exciting, I guess I might as well show you what I was wearing today, too! It was a quiet day of reading and planning for classes tomorrow, so no one but K. and my pile o' books got to see this casual outfit. After a gray and rainy morning, the sun came out this afternoon so I took the opportunity to wear my favorite new flats. Can it be spring yet?

Eyeliner & mascara: SunCoat
Lipcolor: e.l.f. Mineral Mineral Lipstick in "Beautiful Berry"
Jeans: BDG high-rise cigarette 
Sweater: J.Crew Factory
Flats: Anthroplogie (now on super sale!)
Necklace: gift from E.! <3


xoxo,
melina

1 comment:

  1. that eyeliner looks great but your hair looks RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME. seriously this new shampoo must be magical.

    ReplyDelete