Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Some selfies

Here are some selfies from my room in the Comfort Inn on the morning of my trip to visit one of the programs that I've since been accepted to.  You can see some of the choices I was making that morning-- hair up or down, lipstick, scarf or not, etc. I did myself a favor and packed very light-- I was there for less than 24 hours and needed to carry my overnight bag with my on my visit. I carefully selected an outfit, and did something that makes me very nervous: I didn't bring another option. Things seem to have worked out in the end, and I felt comfortable and appropriately dressed.

My field is a fairly creative one, so a little light pattern mixing with the scarf and bodice of the dress wasn't verboten. I think I would have seemed out of place in a suit, and not like myself in a more business casual ensemble.  I borrowed this dress for Ali who wore it the previous week on a graduate school visit that went well, so there was a little superstition attached to this black and white number from Anthropologie.


The best part about this was that I felt like me: I didn't tone down my eye makeup, or refrain from wearing a topknot. And somehow, it worked.


Trench: Gap (2009)
Scarf: J. Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment