Friday, February 22, 2013

Femme-spiration Friday: Amy Winehouse

We've been debating about whether Amy Winehouse is too obvious a femme-spiration to highlight here, but to go any farther without remarking on her style doesn't seem right- after all, on both my and Melina's pinterest boards, Amy makes the most frequent appearances.  She's kind of the femme-spiration on which all other femme-spiration is based.  Her signature look has been a constant source of inspiration for me since she emerged, really for the second time, as Back to Black Amy.  I've been known to say that Amy Winehouse is my spirit animal.  This might be a little exaggerated since I don't have quite the relationship with drugs and alcohol that she did, nor am I rail thin, but I think the fact that I can make a very respectable beehive with my natural hair is a pretty good first step.  

I don't even know where to start with this picture.  Amy had a really timeless quality: when she was at her best (and least like a shitshow), she modernized the 50s and 60s in a way that few others have.


I could talk all day about her amazing cat-eye makeup, which is an inspiration to both me and Melina.  In some ways, it feels like the femme holy grail, and even though Amy wasn't queer (to my knowledge), she managed to embody an aesthetic that I think is most relatable to femmes.


Amy was an enormous talent, and one that died far too young.  Going through images for this post has been a reminder of how much Amy achieved, her tremendous beauty, and also how troubled she was; a Google search renders a slew of photos of her in the darkest of days, but also so many beautiful shots like these.  Amy at her best is perhaps the femme-spiration that rings the most true for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment