Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fast Sally’s Speakeasy

Meg & I love a good theme party. We definitely knew how to do them right at our undergraduate institution, and I still look forward to any opportunity to don something on the costume-y side of the sartorial spectrum. So, deviating slightly from our typical posts, I offer you some shots from a birthday party I attended over the weekend for my friends Rachel and Josh. It was a roaring 20s themed party; the invitation suggested that we all don our "spiffiest glad rags (feathers, fans, pearls, or dresses for flappers, and bow ties, pinstripes, vests, or fedoras for fellas)" and they transformed their gorgeous apartment into "Fast Sally's Speakeasy" for the evening. It was awesome.

K. & I were catching up on Downton Abbey before we left for the party, and I thought I'd pin my hair into something Mary-like at the nape of my neck. But my hair wasn't co-operating, so I decided to use this opportunity to wear one of my wigs. Although in this case I think maybe I ended up looking like some crazy combination of Marilyn Monroe and Lady Edith, we still had a great time drinking some "hooch" with our fun & stylish friends.

Melina

Dress: Kenar (stolen from Meg)
Pearls: inherited from K.'s grandmother
Feather pin: vintage, from my mother
Shoes: Aerosoles (spring 2010)

Kel

Shirt: H&M
Bow tie: thrifted
Cardigan: J.Crew Factory

I'd be remiss if I didn't include some images of the gorgeous bday girl, Rachel and our dapper friend Olivia! Rachel's ensemble for the evening was incredible, and she even managed to create her own headband from a feather she'd found at a local park. And Olivia was really bringing the 20s swagger.

Rachel

Dress: Calypso outlet
Tights: Brooklyn Industries
Shoes: Stuart Weizmann booties (borrowed from her sister)
Headband: Goody elastic headband with a feather attached (found in the park- thanks to whichever bird lent it!)

Olivia

Pants, vest & tie : J.Crew
Shirt: American Apparel
Shoes: Frye James boots

Thanks again to Rachel & Josh (not pictured) for being born—and for being such lovely hosts!

xoxo,
melina

No comments:

Post a Comment