Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Possible misfire


To be perfectly honest, I came very close to not blogging these pictures.  For one, poor Ali is sick in bed, so these photos aren't of good quality (and you can't even see my jeans!) since she took them while laying down covered in blankets.  The other reason, though, is that this outfit takes me far outside of my comfort zone, and I'm not sure if I pulled it off.  Ever since starting to blog, I've realized that I have a tendency to use a safe formula (boots, cardigan, dress), which I tend to vary mostly in print, color, and style, not in structure.  In an effort to try something new, I turned to shirt that I thrifted in the fall because I was in love with the crazy, Liberty-esque floral pattern.  Button downs have always been tricky for me to find: I'm a petite person (five feet on a good day!), but I have a sizable chest... the result is that shirts that fit the rest of my body gap across the chest, and those that fit my chest are too large in the shoulders.  This one fits well all over-- well enough that I'm able to button it all the way to the top without straining it.  Upon discovering that, I began to experiment with a look I've seen a lot of recently: shirts buttoned all the way up, often with a significant necklace over it.  In spite of the fact that I usually avoid wearing things that come all the way up to my neck because they tend to over-emphasize my chest, I gave it a try.

I wore this to my first meeting of the semester-- an informal coffee with a fashion-forward professor.  It was... fine.  But I didn't feel totally like myself, and didn't have all of the confidence that a really killer dress tends to give me, as silly as that sounds.  I don't think that the look is horrible, and I know I didn't embarrass myself while wearing it.  I'm glad I experimented with it, but I can't promise that I'll try this again.
Blazer: J. Crew Factory (summer 2011)
Shirt: Liz Claiborne, thrifted (fall 2012)
Jeans: J. Brand (winter 2012, not pictured)
Necklaces: various pieces of Ali's
Ring: Anthropologie (winter 2010)
Boots: Frye Campus (fall 2005)

1 comment:

  1. I really love this! You may have inspired me to purchase/experiment with some button-downs...

    ReplyDelete