Friday, January 11, 2013

Femme-spiration Friday: 90s Rose McGowan

Welcome to Femmepirical Evidence's first Femme-spiration Friday! Meg and I have decided to devote weekly postings to the femme sartorial icons who inspire us most, from people we know IRL, to musicians, celebrities, personae from tv/film/novels—and even a few animated characters. If we've learned anything over the course of our friendship, it's that femme-spiration can come from many unlikely and surprising sources.

This week I've got my crop top on, my nose ring in, some Mazzy Star blasting in the background, and I'm ready to bring you the best of Rose McGowan in the 90s. Specifically, I'm talking about Rose McGowan in The Doom Generation (1995), Devil in the Flesh (1998), and Jawbreaker (1999). As far as I can tell, infamous glam-metal-rocker Marilyn Manson and I have exactly two things in common: we were both born in the month of January, and we both fell madly in love with Rose McGowan after seeing her performance in the bizarre, dark, and now cult-classic The Doom Generation, directed by Gregg Araki. Araki's first film about a heterosexual relationship (the opening titles actually bill the film as "A Heterosexual Movie by Gregg Araki"), the narrative follows teen lovers Jordan White (James Duval) and Amy Blue (Rose McGowan) and their twisted and sexually charged relationship with a dangerous punk drifter they pick up one night, Xavier Red (Johnathan Schaech).

Along with her memorably colorful language ("You are a life support system for a cock," Amy Blue sneers at Xavier at one point), Rose McGowan's character manages to satiate nearly all of my style fantasies with her short dark bob, red lipstick, black t-shirts, leather jacket, and excellent lingerie.


Midway through, the film offers a brief reprieve from McGowan's darker look, and Amy Blue appears clad in a cotton-candy pink pastel confection and a plastic rain coat paired with white 60s-inspired sunglasses. Guys, it's like they knew they were making this film for me.


A (trigger) warning though: Doom Generation is incredibly disturbing/gory/(sexually)violent, so don't watch it alone, or at all if that's going to be rough on you!

Moving on! In Devil in the Flesh, a made-for-tv film that probably no one on this green earth has ever watched in its entirety except me (and my poor boyfriend K.), McGowan plays Debbie Strand: a disturbed high-school student who's hot for teacher and turns murderous in order to secure his attention. But lez be honest—it's really about Rose McGowan rocking some sick crop tops.



Enough said, right? Right.

Lastly, Jawbreaker—the most widely known film of these three. Surprisingly, even though it's basically my favorite kind of movie (dark comedy about teen girls involving murder, mayhem, and popularity wars), I only saw it for the first time about a year ago. Again, McGowan, as queen bee mean girl Courtney Shayne, does not disappoint.

My favorite look involves this leopard print headband paired with a lime green sweater, but the movie has lots of neon-crop-top-and-matching-choker eye candy to offer viewers.



So maybe none of these looks are especially practical for my day-to-day life. And I think Meg would probably kill me if I showed up somewhere with her in that metallic purple monstrosity pictured above. But what's femme-spiration without a little bit of fantasy? At the very least, maybe in my next life I'll get to come back as a raven-haired and sharp-witted teenage seductress who can wear the hell out of some synthetic fibers.

Note: I do not own any of the screen caps in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment